Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Goodbye and good riddance, 2008

You're finally dying, you hag, but you can't die soon enough to suit me. You and I have been together for such a short time really, but it seems like that first night was a lifetime ago. I looked into your face under the cold Kentucky moon and it seemed like a whole new world was opening up for us.

When our love was new, you made me feel 20 years younger.  With you by my side I was making more money than I ever had. My mental health was strong. I started working out, eating well, and losing weight. I looked better than I had in years and people noticed. I ran in my first organized road race and actually finished.

Then, for reasons I'll never understand, you turned on me.

You took my job.

You destroyed my credit.

You threw me into a new career just as the economy was going into the crapper.

You opened the door and let depression back into my life - I started going to Wendy's and to bed instead of the weight room and the treadmill.

You strained my sanity, my home, and my marriage to the breaking point.


If I'm sad about your death, I'm sad that you don't have a heart to break. I wish you could feel some of the suffering you brought into the world.

You taught me a lot 2008, but hurt me more. One day I might look back and be glad we met, but tonight I'm satisfied to know I won't have to spend another minute in your company.

I have a New Year. Been preparing for her for several weeks now. We'll work together and try to undo some of the damage you have done. She'll be going with me when I return to the gym. She's going to work with me to rebuild my career. We're going to spend time healing relationships with my family, my wife, my God, and myself. Who knows, we might even make the world a little better place than the one you are leaving behind.

I have seen quite a few come and go in my life. some of them were bad, some were great. But as a year 2008, you sucked.

2009, we'll be together soon. And I'm going to work my tail off to make you a great one.

Peace,
Pennsy

1 comment:

  1. Miss you and your thoughts. Hope you are able to enjoy the lovely weather they predict for the weekend!

    ReplyDelete