Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Change is Good

I am getting tired.

Last night I intended to take a rest/cross-training night at the gym - an hour of cardio and resistance bands, then home.

I tried a short jog, but the Achilles tendons still hurt me too much to run. I did about 10 minutes on the bike, then tried to find a spot on the walll where I could use the bands. Class room full, back room full - no dice. There wasn't anywhere to clip the band to the wall without standing on top of someone.

I decided to improvise, so I tried to re-create my original workout on the machines. Of course my strength is much greater than it was in January, but there was something else going on too. I was burning out so fast. Lifting heavy weights for sure, but just fatigued after only a few sets. I'm looking at everything, water, sleep, meals, trying to figure out why I'm not getting fuel to the furnace. I need a change.

So last night after spending some time prostrate on the floor, I decided to make a change. I went out to the garage and pulled my bike out from under the pile where it was resting in peace. I took most of the major components apart - pulled the wheels, seat, handle bars. I'm going to clean it up, maybe change out the cables, find some bags to hang on the rack, and start wheeling. That has to help my cardio, and it shouldn't strain my achilles heels like run/walking does.

Plus, it's good for the world. I live really close to work, less than a mile and a half. There's no reason I should ever drive there - it's actually faster to bike at rush hour. Fresh air for the Bluegrass, fresh air and sunshine for me. It's a win/win!

I'm hoping the change will do me some good, too.

Peace,
b

1 comment:

  1. You continue to make choices and changes that are so wise, Pennsy. Congrats on yet another one and good luck with the changes! Way to improvise!

    Cheering for you, as always!

    ReplyDelete