Wednesday, June 30, 2010

#209: Halfway Through My Treatment!

OK, three weeks down, three weeks to go! I've made it to the turn. I had a great morning, though I admit I'm slowing down a little right now. It's a great day.

I have deliberately been avoiding looking too far ahead or back. I don't want to lose track of where I am. I can't really afford to get lost right now. Mrs P does the weeping and worrying for both of us right now. Today, I am definitely looking forward. Three weeks. I can't imagine anything I can't take for three weeks. Of course, there may be things coming that I haven't imagined. Hope may be a virtue best practiced in moderation right now. I still don't know what that second Chemo treatment has in store for me. Still, I see promise in July.

July is always a good month for me. The sun moves out of the sign of Cancer in July, and into my birth sign, the Lion. Mum and I both have birthdays this month. Deb S and I even share a birthday. This year, that will be a week after my last radiation treatment, even more to celebrate. Summerfest, the outdoor theatre festival I have loved so long will open soon and I don't want to miss a show. Summertime in Kentucky is at it's best. The rains of June have passed, and the dry brown of August hasn't yet come. We'll drive through the Bluegrass and shout "moo" to the cows and whisper "ahh" at the horses and sneeze at the goldenrod - inexplicably our state flower.

When I imagine the time to come, I imagine hours spent in rehearsal, doing what I love. I imagine travelling to see our family in Pennsylvania and Kentucky and Carolina and Colorado. I imagine visiting the people who have loved me so in Washington and Baltimore, New York, Chicago and LA, Ohio, Missouri, Tennessee and Texas. I am such a rich man, rich in marriage, rich in family and friends, rich in life. I want to spend the rest of my days loving my treasures. I treasure you, even though we may never have met, may never meet.

The struggle isn't over. I'm not stupid. This July may be only the beginning. Cancer can be a slippery adversary. But we'll let tomorrow's troubles wait for tomorrow. Today I feel great. The AC is off, the windows are open, and life is good.

Three weeks down, three to go.

Peace,
pennsy

2 comments:

  1. Loving your positive attitude! Three weeks ...... yes, you can handle anything for three weeks. Our focus is two weeks. In 13 days we will be traveling to San Diego for my son's Improv competition. We are making plans to be safe with John's health but we are going to be with family for the shear joy of being together. It will be a good time. We will make sure that it is.


    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robyn, San Diego sounds great. I envy your boy's skill at improv. I always stunk at it. Not fast enough on my feet without a playwright's help. Our prayers go with you during these last couple of weeks...b

    ReplyDelete