Saturday, February 26, 2011

#303: Steppin' Out For My Baby


Cancer Boy and Sugar Girl... What a team.
 One of the best things about running in organized events is the opportunity to help organizations that do great work in the community. In March, I'm running in the Shamrock Shuffle 3K for Lexington Habitat for Humanity and the Race to Read 5K for the Episcopal Disocese of Lexington Reading Camp program. Those are valuable and important organizations, but there's another one in June that strikes especially close to home.

On June 4, I'll be participating in Lexington's Step Out: Walk to Fight Diabetes. This one is personal. Three years ago, the doctors told us that Mrs P has diabetes. It's a condition that runs in her family so we half expected it to happen eventually. She checks her blood sugar, watches her diet, takes her medicine. She's doing her best to control the disease, but today there is no cure. There should be.

I'm asking folks to join Team Pennsy to raise money to fight Diabetes. We did this in 2008, and raised almost $600. In exchange, I taped up my aching ankles, (I had strained both achiles tendons trying to keep up with a pair of coeds in my first 5K a few weeks before,) and limped the walk. Then I hooted the names of Team Pennsy from the hills of Keeneland. Here's the video I made of the events of that day. Every one of my sponsors has been rich, happy, and good looking ever since. You can join that happy throng. Let's shoot for $1000 this year. Public funds can only do so much, and from the looks of things, there are going to be fewer and fewer public funds to go around. We who care about science, social services, and the arts are going to have to pick up the slack. Here's a chance to do that.

Go to my Step Out web page to learn more about the event, and find out how you can help.

Peace,

Pennsy

No comments:

Post a Comment