Wednesday, March 30, 2011

#313: Run-Walk-Run

Run-Walk-Run is what Jeff Galloway calls his technique for running injury-free, right from the start, no matter how old or how inexperienced a runner you may be. Here's Jeff explaining how it works.

 I have noticed a lot of people passing me in races using walk breaks, and I wanted to see how it would work for me. Today, I used this technique to run a 5K on the track at the gym. I didn't want my watch beeping every few seconds on a small indoor track, so I just decided to run a lap, then walk a lap. This turned out to be a ratio of about 30 seconds running to 1:00 walking. Honestly, I expected this to produce a much slower pace. I was surprised.

My PR at 3.11 miles (5K) is 42:30, an average speed of 4.4 mph, at 13:40/mi.
My run today was3.19 miles  in 47:31, an average speed of 4.0 mph at 14:51/mi.

So by walking half the distance instead of running, I slowed down by a little more than a minute per mile.I found that really surprising. That isn't nearly as much of a drop off as I would have guessed.


Here's how the run/walk segments broke down.

Running
Duration: 0:15:48
Distance: 1.60 mi
Avg Speed: 6.08 mph
Pace: 9:53 min/mi
Walking
Duration: 0:31:43
Distance: 1.60 mi
Avg Speed: 3.03 mph
Pace: 19:49 min/mi

I felt great when I was done. I could have kept that pace up for a long time

Galloway has drills to help you increase your cadence (steps per minute) and recommends ways to increase your endurance by adjusting the run/walk ratio. His is a very gentle approach to running, sort of "No Pain, No Pain," and today's results encourage me to spend a few more weeks with him. If you want to know more, here's a link to his page on Amazon.


Dude... Seriously?
I'm training right now for this insane Krispy Kreme 5K Challenge next week. Runners in the "Competitor" class run 5K. Runners in the "Challenger" class run 2.5K, eat a DOZEN Krispy Kreme donuts, then run the final 2.5K. They have an hour to complete this hideous feat. I saw nothing in the rules about how long they actually have to keep their donuts down... but this doesn't seem like a finish line I'm gonna want to hang around and watch. The event benefits Habitat for Humanity, so that makes up for the perversity a little bit.  
Oh, I'll be forgoing the donuts, by the way. After going through chemo, I do not consider hurling breakfast to be recreation.
 
Peace,
Pennsy

No comments:

Post a Comment