Thursday, June 30, 2011

#344: A Run in the Sun

I have set a speed goal for myself: an average pace of 11:00/mile for at least 2 miles. Today, in 84 degree air under a blazing sun, I came within 3 seconds of doing just that.

I know, I promised myself I was going to take it easy today. But then I got out on the trail and my stride felt so smooth and easy during warm ups, I just started pressing the pace right from the beginning. I knew I was only going out to the first mile-post and back. I also knew that the route is nearly all flat and straight. I decided to see just how fast I could go.

Used the 4:00/0:30 run/jog intervals again. I'm really starting to feel good about that rhythm, though I will definitely be walking the first few breaks during Monday's race. I want to have plenty of gas for the return trip.

Indelicate medical report: I felt a little chafing in the back of my leg... you know... where the thigh meets the bum? Of course, as I have already described, I have these empty bags of skin where the fat used to be and my bum was particularly blessed with that resource. There's a little more rubbing goes on there than I might like. Add that to one of the places I'll have "tucked" when I hit the Powerball. I'll need to make sure to apply a little Aquaphor on that "seam" before I run in the heat again.

I think this may be my last run until Monday. If I don't run again until the 10K, I'm OK with that.  In the past few weeks, I've had several quality sessions that were significantly longer than 6.2 miles. I know I can do it and I know that if I pace myself at the beginning, I can finish strong. That's my goal for the race: to finish strong.

When I registered, I had to indicate how long I thought it would take me to finish. Based on my times back then, I said 90 minutes. If I can keep from dropping anything on my foot between now and then, and the weather is at least bearable, I should be a lot closer to 70 than 90. That's not going to set the world on fire, but it would be a real milestone for me. I wouldn't mind breaking 70 minutes.

But this is my first 10K and based on the wisdom of my running elders, my goal is to finish. Just to finish. Everything else is secondary. No matter what the time, no matter what the weather, I intend to have a great day running with a few thousand of my closest friends.

Though, I wouldn't complain if we had a few early morning showers to kick off the 4th...

Peace,
Pennsy

No comments:

Post a Comment