Thursday, September 1, 2011

#358: Starting the climb towards $1000 and 13.1 miles

One for the Five is going great! We're almost half-way to our $1000 goal, with 53 days to go. Here's a link, just in case you don't know the story of The Five, We were all diagnosed with cancer last spring. Four of us are gone, but I am left to continue the battle. You can join me by sponsoring my run in the Iron Horse Half-marathon, my first 13.1 mile race. Just click this link to make a contribution. You write the check, I'll run the miles.

And the miles are starting to add up. I've been averaging 15 miles a week, and that number will start climbing as the October 23rd race day approaches. Yesterday, I ran intervals for a couple of miles. One minute rest, one minute hard. Really hard. These workouts are designed to build strength and get your legs used to turning over quickly. It worked. I actually peaked at 7:00/mile. Of course, that was down-hill and only lasted a very short time. This kind of a run wears you out, and I confess, I wasn't much good in the gym yesterday. I really enjoyed the flexibility cool-down at the end of the day, though.

Sweating on Mum after the 2011 Midsummer Night's Run
I'm doing my part. So jump over to Crowdrise and pitch in. Every cancer fighter should get a chance at a night like this...


Peace,

Pennsy

No comments:

Post a Comment