Friday, March 9, 2012

394:Living Strong at the YMCA


This is a fundraising appeal I have sent out to just about everyone I know. I hope you will read it, contribute, and share it with your friends online. Thanks, Pennsy.

You and I have done some remarkable things together over the years. We've raised thousands of dollars for some marvelous causes, but this project, called Living Strong at the Y is very special.


On May 6th,2012, almost exactly 2 years after the doctors told me I had cancer, I am returning to the city where I was born to run 26.2 miles in the Pittsburgh Marathon. That’s something I would never have dreamed of doing before I had was sick. Now, I can’t imagine not doing it.

Will you help to sponsor my run by making a contribution to Living Strong at the Y? All funds will support LIVESTRONG at the YMCA, a life changing program that helps cancer survivors like me to reclaim our lives. A group of 8-10 participants gets free, 12 week family memberships to the Y, then works with a team of trainers, instructors, and nutritionists to learn how fitness and exercise can help them recover from cancer and cancer treatment. It isn't make-believe, "dumbed-down" exercise class for victims to occupy their time. This is serious training for people who have faced cancer and chosen to fight for their lives.

It’s going to cost around $13,000 to run the program at the North Lexington Y this year. The YMCA doesn't charge survivors a penny to be in the program. The LIVESTRONG Foundation pays many of the initial instructor training costs, but after the first year, each YMCA is responsible for its own funding.

You can donate online at http://www.crowdrise.com/pennsyyckyor if you prefer, you can mail a check made out to “YMCA” directly to me at:

Robert Parks Johnson
North Lexington Family YMCA
381 West Louden Ave
Lexington KY 40508

Just write “Living Strong” on the memo line.

The next generation of cancer warriors needs our support. You can be there beside them, by making a tax deductible contribution. I’ll be in the gym working as a trainer, making sure that your money goes where it’s supposed to go: helping to turn patients into survivors, and survivors into fighters.

Keep Living Strong!

Pennsy

No comments:

Post a Comment