Thursday, April 4, 2013

#422: Will You Bet On Pennsy?

When I ask for your money, I know I'm asking a lot. This year, I'm putting myself on the line to win your support. I'm going to try to smash my personal best in the Marathon.


Last spring, I asked a group of people to support me as I returned to my home town to run my first Marathon. I completed the Pittsburgh Marathon just two years after being diagnosed with the cancer that almost killed me. Family, friends, neighbors, and strangers rose to the challenge, and contributed $3685 to support LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA, a 12 week program that helps cancer survivors to use exercise, nutrition, and community to reclaim their lives after being diagnosed with this life threatening illness.


First as a participant, and now as a coach, I've had the chance to watch that money being spent. Our efforts last year paid for free memberships for 10 survivors and their families so they could travel together on their journey toward strength and wellness.
We did that together. This year, I’m challenging you to do even more.

BET A BUCK A MINUTE
In Pittsburgh, I finished the 26.2 miles in 06:21:53. Since then, I’ve been training to get stronger, tougher, and faster. I think I can beat my old time, and I’ll be trying to finish the Flying Pig Marathon in Cincinnati on May 5 in less than 05:21:00. That would be a near miracle, but then, miracles are sort of my business these days.Here’s my challenge to you:


I’m asking you to pledge a dollar for every minute I take off of my time in the Marathon. That’s $60 for an hour improvement.

HERE’S ALL YOU NEED TO DO

Drop me an email to let me know you’re ready to bet a buck a minute on me. Once the race is finished, I’ll let you know my official time, and you can make your contribution by mail, or online at my website: http://www.crowdrise.com/lsy2013/fundraiser/Pennsy.

We’re going to do such great things together. Ladies and Gentlemen, place your bets!

Peace,
Pennsy


Make checks payable to "YMCA" and mail to:
Robert Parks Johnson
Living Strong at the Y 2013
North Lexington Family YMCA
381 West Loudon Ave
Lexington KY 40508

No comments:

Post a Comment