Sunday, December 10, 2023

A new project


I've finally started working on a project I've been thinking about for years. I have recorded the first 40 minutes of my blogs from 2010, the year I became a cancer survivor. (Don't panic. The file below is just a short sample.)

I've tried to create lots of things with all those words. Write a memoir. Turn them into a play. Use them as the foundation of a side hustle as a motivational speaker. Start a cult.

Nothing ever came of all these ideas. They were either too ambitious, too far beyond my talents, or, too damn much work. This time, I'm just putting my nose to the microphone and pressing on. 

Not really sure what I'll do with all this once it is finished. It will take better ears and eyes than mine to turn it into something resembling a professional production. Maybe it will become the audio companion to the compilation I finally cut and paste and self-publish someday. Maybe I'll use it as background for a slide show of all the photos clogging up my hard-drives. Or maybe it will just turn into another piece of evidence at my commitment hearing when the State finally takes custody of my golden years.

Whatever it becomes, it feels like a more useful pastime than fretting about doctors who don't call and scans that don't show enough and wondering where my skull will be the next time a fainting spell sends me thumping to the floor. If nothing else, it is re-introducing me to a man who knew so much more than I do about just about everything. Maybe he can teach me something...


No comments:

Post a Comment