Saturday, May 10, 2008

Preparing for my First 5K

I’m running my first 5K next week - the Chrysalis House 5K Run/Walk. The event benefits Chrysalis House, a center for women and families here in the Bluegrass.

I went out and ran the course today.


Its a loop around a big meadow (soon to be some kind of development, I’m afraid). The hills are gentle and the scenery is lovely. The course starts at a dog park, which got my spirits up right from the beginning. I walked for about 9 minutes till I felt warmed up, then ran the whole rest of the way. I expect I’ll finish behind most of the walkers, but at this point in my career, all I want to do is finish.

Mrs P and I may go to the gym later to do some resistance training. I got a copy of Arnold Schwarzenegger’s The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding. It’s a really great book. His knowledge of the subject is - well - encyclopedic, and his passion for the sport that made him famous burns on every page. I was expecting a to-do book with a celebrity endorsement in the front. This book is much more than that.

So I’m hoping to put some of what I’m learning from Governor S to work in the weight room.. Then back to the never-ending yardwork.

Peace,
Pennsy

No comments:

Post a Comment