Sunday, May 4, 2008

Takin’ it to the Streets

I found a cool web site called mapmyrun.com that lets you, well, you know, map your run. You plot your run and the application tells you the distance and elevation. It also has a place to save your trips and to log your workouts. I laid out routes around my house that are a mile, 5K and 10K. You can also save runs publicly to let other runners in your area know about good routes. Of course, since all mine start and end at my house, I’ll be keeping them private.

Today I tried one out. I mowed the lawn, then put on my running clothes and hit the street for the first time. Real world running is very different from treadmill running. For one thing, there’s real topography. Sure you can change the incline on the treadmill, but real hills are different somehow. Sunshine, neighbors, dogs, dogwoods -- It’s harder, but more rewarding. There was a point, after I had climbed the last hill that my breath started coming easier, my feet felt lighter.

Look, I’m not going to lie. I was barely running. I stopped to walk several times, and most of the time I was hardly lifting my feet. I ran 3.3 miles in just under 50 minutes. Average speed? 4mph. At that pace, I could run a marathon, but I’d have to rent a room along the way. I think someone passed me using her walker.

Still, I know I can run a 5K now. Running in the sun - that’s what I’ve been wanting and actually dreaming about. Today I began a new chapter of the story of the Fat Man. I can’t wait to see what’s on the next page.

Peace,
Pennsy

Didn't get to the gym so weigh-in will be tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment