Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Course Correction - Working Running Back In

“He who loves, flies, runs, and rejoices;
he is free and nothing holds him back.”
- Henri Matisse

Yeah, that's how it feels to be Pennsy today. Running on Saturday gave me such a rush that I decided to try it again, on the streets this time. I did a mile and a half around the neighborhood at sunrise yesterday morning. Started with a long slow warmup walk, about 12 minutes, then an easy jog for the rest of the way. The ankles were a little tender, but not painful. Molly and I shared a quarter-mile cool down after my run. I am really encouraged.

I plan to run every other morning, gradually building up to four miles over the next four weeks. There is a 5K here in Lexington on August 9th and I registered for it on Sunday.

The weight work will take a backseat to running for a while. I'll stick to the plan, but I may put more recovery days in rather than going four days straight with two days off.

I'm really excited and grateful to be running again. As much as I would like to look like a bodybuilder, I really think my heart is in running right now.

It's funny. A year ago, I could not have imagined getting to a place where I actually missed exercise. God's sense of humor knows no limits.

Peace,
Pennsy

Thanks to photographer Kelly Angard for the Matisse quote and for this great photo on Flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment