Tuesday, May 18, 2010

#163 What we might be...

A few weeks ago (seems like a lifetime) I discovered a strange swelling on the right side of my neck. After a few tests we learned that it was Cancer and that it was pretty bad. There have been struggles and adventures that I intend to write about in the coming days, but I want to start with this.

Since I became ill, I have experienced mercy, compassion, and generosity in the most remarkable way. People have poured out their hearts, their hours, and their pocketbooks to Mrs P and me in a demonstration of gratuitous love that leaves me awestruck. It occurred to me last night that this is who me might be.

If we choose, we might be a people who share one another's burdens.

Who build one another up and encourage one another to succeed.

We might be a people who treasure and shelter one another from life's unfairness and cruelty.

Had we the will, we might be companions who make one another feel stronger, more capable, more known.

We might create places where our neighbors could bring their fears and find solace and comfort. Maybe not always understanding, but always acceptance.

The world might be such a place. Or the church. Or our heart.

We might be these things, but we prefer things as they are somehow.

We blame God for the fall of Babel, but the truth is that we choose babble. Consistantly. Tragically.

Cancer is teaching me what beautiful, holy people we might be... what a world we might share...

Peace,
pennsy

5 comments:

  1. Bob, I have missed your writing, your wit, and your thoughtful insights into life. I wish the circumstances that led to a continuation of your blog were different. PP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Bob. Prayers are with you. xoxoxo Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Bobert....I've been thinking of u
    Love Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simple yet profound. Beautiful. We survivors understand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simple yet profound. Beautiful. We survivors understand.

    ReplyDelete