Sunday, March 24, 2024

#603: I could be wrong.


"I could be wrong." My shrink has suggested I make more liberal use of this phrase. I have to be honest... I can't really remember why. It was in the middle of a difficult session. We were rolling around in the mud of my depression together, and the phrase stuck to my boot. Since I can't seem to shake it off, there must be some part of me that needs to sit with it for a while, and you, my unfortunate reader have slipped into the muck with me. 

I could be wrong, but there is a lot more to this serenity bullshit than meets the eye. There are mornings when I can't wait to get to my chair with Sophie and begin my meditation. Often it's when I anticipate a long, challenging day ahead, and want to start from a place of physical, mental, and spiritual peace and preparedness. It always helps me to face the day with energy, compassion, and focus. It's like I'm always telling people about physical activity, "I've had lots of days when I hated getting a workout started, but I've never finished one that I regretted." But then, I've always tended to only remember the good times. So, I could be wrong.

On the other hand, there are mornings when I'd rather have oral surgery than sit quietly with my thoughts and emotions. Mornings like today when I opened my eyes to memories of one of my people who I won't be seeing again. He is one of the cancer survivors who come to the Y where I serve to ask me to help them find their strength. From the day I met Terry, we both knew that cancer would take his life. He was determined live every second he had left. His prognosis grew more dire as the months passed, and the time the doctors gave him grew shorter and shorter. Through it all, he stayed courageous and strong. I know I'm not wrong about that.

Terry, Coach Deb, and Pennsy
He's been with us for a couple of years now, going through one 12-week session of LIVESTRONG at the YMCA after another, giving and receiving inspiration with the groups of which he has been a part. His attendance has been pretty spotty lately. They told him in February that he didn't have more than a couple of months left. He kept coming back. He felt safe with us. He felt strong. He felt loved and alive. He was right. 

I was hoping to see him on Thursday afternoon when the winter group graduated. I missed him, and figured he was having one of his bad days. I was wrong.

Terry died Thursday morning.

I'd like to say I received the news with gentle grace. I guess I'm not that far along the noble path yet. My heart clenched like a fist when I read the words, and those fingers have been wrapped tight ever since. It wasn't a surprise. Wasn't unexpected. Wasn't unplanned, and we weren't unprepared. There hasn't been a day in the past few years that I didn't know that news would be coming. But I wasn't ready. I could be wrong, but nothing could have made me ready. 

I always feel this pain. I used to cry, especially for the ones I knew well, the ones I had come to admire and love. Their courage feeds mine, and their deaths diminish my tribe. I don't have many tears left. But it hurts like hell. It hurts like hell.

Losing a brother or sister scares the members of my tribe in a secret place, deep inside. We all know we could die the same way. Maybe that's why celebrities who get cancer strike us in such a personal way. There's nobody on earth I have less in common with than the members of England's royal family, but hearing about Princess Kate and King Charles and their diagnoses strike much closer than makes sense. We are as far apart as anyone could be, but we're family now. I think that's a universal thing for survivors. But I could be wrong.

Woke up with all that crushing my heart and clouding my mind, and my body decided the best thing was to feed the cat, fluff the pillow, and go back to sleep. 3:00 in the afternoon and I still haven't practiced my meditation today. I wish I could explain why. I just don't want to look at what's inside me right now. Maybe I'm afraid it will take me down so deep that I won't find my way back. 

I could be wrong. But I'm definitely afraid of something. That fear may be reason enough to stop typing, light some incense, and turn off the screens for a while. 

There are lots of reasons not to. My imagination generates more reasons by the second. But it's like a 6 mile run or a session on the heavy bag: I may be sore when I'm finished, but I won't regret doing it.

Or... well... you know.

I'll let you know.

Namaste, y'all.

Pennsy


No comments:

Post a Comment