Monday, March 25, 2024

#604: The Weight



Grieving is a journey. Living after the death of a friend or relationship can be brutal. It's confusing. It's painful. It seems like it's going to last for ever, and some of it will get easier. But god, it can be so heavy.

I pulled into Nazareth, was feelin' about half past dead;
I just need some place where I can lay my head.
"Hey, mister, can you tell me where a man might find a bed?"
He just grinned and shook my hand, and "No!", was all he said.

Take a load off Fanny, take a load for free;
Take a load off Fanny, And you can put the load right on me.

Robbie Robertson, The Weight

The Weight is very much with me today. I know the losses won't always weigh this much. Like my wise sister Beth always reminds me, "This too shall pass." But today, The Weight of grief is right there in the middle of my chest, the bottom of my gut, and binding my distracted mind with oily ropes. I've tried to meditate a couple of times, but that means looking things in the eye, and accepting the ones I can't change. I'm just not up to that yet. I hope I can soon. My eyes are so bleary; how I wish I could remember how to cry. Like Robbie's weary pilgrim, I could really use a place to lay my head.

I picked up my bag, I went lookin' for a place to hide;
When I saw Carmen and the Devil walkin' side by side.
I said, "Hey, Carmen, come on, let's go downtown."
She said, "I gotta go, but m'friend can stick around."

 "A place to hide." Yeah. That's the problem, isn't it? There are too many places to hide. Screens to scroll through. Wine to gaze into. Books to read, chores to avoid, crossword puzzles to fill the time. A dim apartment, away from the sun and the air and the people whose company I know would help, if only I could find the will to reach out. Oh, Carmen. couldn't you have stuck around instead of leaving me with your friend? I used to love to lay my head in your lap and sob till my body shook. Your cool hand would stroke my face and pat my hair and whisper, "Poor baby. My poor, poor baby." He just stands in the door telling me lies about myself. He's lousy company, and it seems like he should be a busy guy, but he always finds the time to chew on me.  

Go down, Miss Moses, there's nothin' you can say
It's just ol' Luke, and Luke's waitin' on the Judgement Day.
"Well, Luke, my friend, what about young Anna Lee?"
He said, "Do me a favor, son, woncha stay an' keep Anna Lee company?"

Sometimes it seems like everyone you love is either going away or staying behind. "Look at all the lonely people." Dad. Mom. Aunts and Uncles. Loved ones lost to death or distance; stolen by accident or illness. The ones who gave up because they just couldn't bear The Weight anymore. And we are left to carry the load... Yes, I know. We can do it. We will do it. But sometimes, you just have to put your pack down and sit in the grass and ask the hard questions.

How much longer is this road?

Is it worth the walk?

Do I really need all the stuff in this bag?

How much more am I going to have to carry?

What happens on the day I can't lift it any more?

Yeah, Anna Lee's company looks mighty appealing, but there's something over that next hill calling to me. She doesn't want to go that way, and I can't stay here. Put the load on me.

Crazy Chester followed me, and he caught me in the fog.
He said, "I will fix your rack, if you'll take Jack, my dog."
I said, "Wait a minute, Chester, you know I'm a peaceful man."
He said, "That's okay, boy, won't you feed him when you can."

Oh, Chester. I know you well, my friend. You've rolled into my life with your lunatic stories and dreams. You usually need something, and I usually say yes, because that's just the kind of schmuck I am. I hate to say no, so I give it away until i can barely recognize what's left. Then I get pissed and run you off, and you get pissed and leave Anna Lee or your damn dog (whose company I prefer, to be honest,) and here I am with one more ghost and one more load on the rack. I'd blame you, but you can't help yourself. I'd blame me, but blaming doesn't really make the load any lighter. Sometimes i regret giving myself away so easily. Then I regret not giving more. Then the damn dog puts his chin in my lap for an ear scratch and a nap and I have to admit I'd miss having him around if you'd taken him with you.

Catch a cannon ball now, t'take me down the line
My bag is sinkin' low and I do believe it's time.
To get back to Miss Fanny, you know she's the only one.
Who sent me here with her regards for everyone.

It's time. Or nearly time, anyway. I can't hang around hurting forever. Sometimes you just have to let it hurt and get back up on the road, I guess. Sooner or later, the hurt will ease. It doesn't go away, you just learn to accept it. Carry it. Forgive it. "Let it be." Interesting. That's the second time the Beatles have sneaked into this meditation. Maybe it's time to cue up the Fabs for a listen. Or maybe that's just another place to hide. 

Miss Sophie needs dinner. And Miss Fanny is down the road somewhere. I guess she'll have more Weight for me to carry. That's OK. My back is still strong, and there's a little room in my pack. Time to get moving. Maybe I'll find some answers along the way.

Take a load off Fanny, take a load for free;
Take a load off Fanny, And you can put the load right on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment