Thursday, January 17, 2008

A Tender Moment in the Locker Room

Oh, calm down. It's not that kind of gym.

I was the beneficiary of a handsome young man's kindness today.

After a difficult workout (tired, clumsy, distracted, shoe came untied, heart rate too high) I was sitting at my locker staring blankly into my water bottle. A fellow with a pony tail and what appeared to my un-bespectacled eyes to be a pair of Mickey Mouse lounge pants came in to get his towel.

"How ya doing?", he asked.

"I feel old," I grunted with as much of a smile as I could muster.

"Don't let it get to you -- it won't last long."

He could have blown me off, but he recognized a beginner having a rough night, and took the time to offer a kind word. That changed a lousy trip to the gym into a great one.

Peace,
Pennsy

No comments:

Post a Comment