Thursday, January 31, 2008

Warmer Pennsy -- colder Kentucky

This was a long awaited workout. Tuesday night I was sore and had blisters on my feet. Wednesday morning, I woke up with a little GI discomfort and feeling like I had a cold coming on.

I could have blown the gym off tonight, but I was afraid I might set my progress back. I really don’t want to hit the scale on Saturday and find that I haven’t lost weight.

So I went, and I’m glad it did. The weights went OK. I was a little weaker in my shoulders - the flies and the incline press hurt a lot, but I got through them.

It was great to walk. I got my heart rate up during the strength training, It was around 142 when I hit the treadmill, which is the lower part of my target range. I did the whole two miles and didn’t go much higher than 155. I could have pressed, but I didn’t feel really strong enough. Tomorrow I’ll feel better. I just wish I hadn’t missed a workout. maybe I can do two one day this weekend. I really like going at it for a while on Saturday.

The drive home was creepy. Freezing rain. We had a brutal ice storm in the Bluegrass in 2003. It shut most of the city down for more than a week. I haven’t looked at the cold Kentucky rain the same way since. We still just refer to it as "The Ice Storm". Nobody ever asks which one. The forecast is for snow tomorrow. I hope it gets cold in a hurry. Freezing rain is beautiful when you’re inside with nowhere to go. But when you’re outside watching tree limbs explode and crash to the ground, the poetry goes to a whole ‘nother place.

But that’s tomorrow’s trouble. Tonight I am safe at home with a lap full of cats and belly full of rice and beans. God bless the people who need to be on the roads tonight. Police, emergency responders, street crews. Keep them safe and bring them home unharmed. Amen.

Peace,
Pennsy

=======

There are more ice storm images at the Louisville NOAA website. I'm sure there are others, but don't feel real enthusiastic about finding them tonight.

1 comment:

  1. That is really funny because when we had the freezing rain the other night, Jon was facinated by the way it clung to the trees. I immediately dragged out my photos of "THE Ice Storm." I think we are all on the same wavelength about these storms now!

    ReplyDelete