Tuesday, August 24, 2010

#252: One Less Tube

This one day at a time stuff is not as easy as it looks. I am so tired of waiting, so tired of little victories. So I was delighted yesterday when we passed a major milepost.

I went in to the center for some blood work. After it was done, I asked to see Dee, my oncology team leader. "When can I get rid of this air tank?" here's how the decision was made. First they put one of those big white clips on my finger and checked my oxygen saturation level while using the tank. It was around 99, whatever that means. Then they walked me briskly around the halls for a few minutes without the tank. We were watching to make sure that my oxygen level didn't go below 90. I finished my test at around 93. The doc said I could take off the hose, but that I should keep it around for a while in case I need it. Now it's gathering dust in the corner and I am very happy to be rid of it.

My friend J stopped by today. She is directing a staged reading that I'm going to be part of in the late fall. I'm hoping to have my teeth long before then and should have learned to speak again. It's a musical based on an old Rod Steiger movie called No Way to Treat a Lady. The role is juicy and the cast sounds fun. I've never worked with J before, so that will be a new adventure. A musical will be a lot for me to take on, but since its a reading, it won't be quite as demanding as a full blown production. Long as I don't have to
eat anything, I should be fine.


Speaking of eating, progress is still slow on that front. Last night I tried some chicken vegetable soup and it tasted like an ash tray to me. Also tried some chocolate pudding and it didn't taste like anything I've ever eaten before, least of all chocolate pudding. I think we have grits on the menu tonight, and I have high hopes.

I've been reading on my iPad. There are lots of free books you can download. Been digging into the Book of Mormon. I don't think I'll be converting anytime soon, but I enjoy learning about other people's faith traditions. Reading on the screen is much more comfortable than I expected. The type is bright and clear and the pad is very comfortable to hold. I think I'm finally getting the hang of this keyboard, too.

My next goal is to get my teeth. That is going to be pretty important if I ever hope to get rid of my other bit of plumbing, the PEG feeding tube in my belly. I cant help but think that the ability to chew is going to broaden my dining options considerably

But, you know what they keep telling me... "One day at a time." For now when I need encouragement, I'll just gaze at that unused oxygen tank in the corner. It really is the little things that get you through the day.

Peace

Pennsy

No comments:

Post a Comment