Friday, May 3, 2013

#447: Game Face

Gazing into my own reflected eyes
While Ivanica shears me like a Spartan,
I see something new;

72 hours to go
A hundred hearts
A million tears
A woman in the dark
Mother without breasts
Praying that the surgeon found it all

There in the mirror,
Got my game face on.





Ran.
For fun
Love
Joy
But never before,
To Win.

To crush the Damned Thing
Choke the life out of it
Drag it in a sack to the river
Pound it under my shoes

Angry at the cells
Tumors
Scars
Burns
The fingers that can't feel
The eyes that can't see and the tongues that can't taste.

Murderer.

Wish I could make it chase me over the hills until its evil heart bursts with the effort.
Run right into the grave and pull them all back to life again.
Throw a rope around its neck and drag the Damned Thing through the streets until there's nothing left but an empty, bloody loop.

But I can't do any of those things.
All my hate and anger can't make a dent.

Only love
Laughter.
The unspeakable joy of the pain that burns
The muscles that seize,
The cramps that threaten to tear you down to the ground...
The will to run on.

To the edge of the darkness,
And through into the light on the other side.

Alive

Running hard and strong until I can't run anymore,
Carrying them all with me.

Grampa
Uncle Bud
Alan
Catherine
Doug
Elvin
Jan
Doug
Andrea
Angela
Barbara
Jaspal
Carmen
Cherie
Jennifer
Darlene
Darrell
Denise
Derrick
Alice
Art
Ersula
Francis
Frank
Gwen
Helen
Bobbie
Jeannie
Debbie
Renee
Raylee
Brenda
Ginny
John
Emma
Joyce
Judy
Katy
LaDonna
Terri
Pam
Dee Dee
Ruthie
Shelia
Lynne
Leslie
Mina
Mary
Becky
Peggy
Robin
Jillian
Shevawn
Marian
Byron
Gary
Grace
Dave

Climb aboard, you warriors You champions;
Ever victors, Never victims;
Come with me,
Get on my shoulders,
Come into to my heart.

Wrap your strength around my legs.
Fill my lungs with your courage.
Raise your arms in victory with mine.

Climb aboard, my friends.
My darling ones.

Be my eyes as we run along the river.
Be my ears as they cheer from the side of the streets.

You are my strength.
You are my inspiration.
You taught me to fight.
You taught me to run.
To live.

My brothers and sisters.
My comrades.
My heroes.
My beloved.
I'm taking you for a ride.
We're going to run a By-God-Marathon together.

This time,
Life wins.

Peace,
Pennsy


No comments:

Post a Comment