Monday, May 27, 2013

Values, Roles, and Goals, Part 2

In Part 1 of this series, we looked at ways to identify just what our values are, and to discover whether we're living our lives consistently with those values. When we find, as I did, that the way we're living does not reflect what's really important to us, goals can help to bring our life into line. But goals don't just come out of thin air.

How to build a bridge between our values and our goals? Here's an idea that I stole from Stephen Covey, who stole it from someone else, I suppose. Make a list of the roles you play in life. Here's mine, in no particular order:

  • Grown-up
  • Trainer
  • Athlete
  • Child of God
  • Writer
  • Son
  • Friend
  • Husband
It's going to be interesting to compare your values list with your roles. Remember mine?
  1. God
  2. Family
  3. Fitness
  4. Service
  5. Finances
  6. Hospitality
  7. Learning
  8. Writing
At first, it may seem like there's a one-to-one relationship between the two lists, but actually, there will be aspects of several values in each role.

As a grown-up, I have responsibilities to take care of my money, to look after my family, to stay fit and to continue to grow spiritually and intellectually. 

In my role as trainer, I have to stay fit and knowledgeable of course, but I also have to offer hospitality and service to my clients.

Do you see how values can shape the roles we all play every day? In Part 3 of this series, we'll take a look at how those values can help to define goals that are meaningful and consistent with the rest of our lives.


Peace,

Bob
Eat clean. Run hard. Lift heavy. Sleep well.

No comments:

Post a Comment