Monday, August 11, 2008

Moving Forward Toward 10K

A new distance looms, and I have a plan to get there.

Speaking in broad terms, I intend to follow Jeff Galloway's program of long weekend runs to extend my endurance and two shorter runs during the week to maintain my conditioning. I'll use weight lifting, yoga, and the elliptical as my cross-training workouts to keep the fat-burning engines chugging. I'll start tonight with Squats, Deadlifts, Lunges and a three mile run/walk on the treadmill.

While the writers I've studied disagree on the priority (based on personal focus) all seem to agree that if you are going to combine leg work with weights and running, you should do them on the same day so those muscles get their full two days of recovery time.

On upper body days, I'll do dips, pushups, bench, clean & press, and cable woodchoppers, a new addition that I'm putting in to work my core. Here's a good illustration of woodchoppers from myfit.ca.
I understand that I've set a very ambitious goal for myself here. I will need to pay close attention to what my body has to say about doubling my longest run in three weeks. If the legs don't want to go, I'll find a race in the autumn to work toward, but I would really like to do this by Labor Day. 
Peace,
Pennsy

No comments:

Post a Comment