Friday, October 9, 2009

#153 Fat Man Changing

Been a long time since fitness was on my agenda. This photo was from my last organized 5K, back in the Summer of 2008. Since then, unemployment, Major Depression and the Great Recession conspired to put me on my back and ultimately in the hospital for a few days. That sort of thing gets a 49 year old's attention. Not to mention a blood pressure reading that looked like a pretty decent bowling score.

So I'm making some changes.

I've decided to change the name of the blog back to its original Fat Man Running. It isn't a comment on my self-esteem, I just like the way it sounds. So the Fat Man is back on the road, running for his life. I'm back on the treadmill, walking till I get my legs back under me. Bye-bye caffeine. Hello regular sleep hours. So long salt shaker. Hello to the small army of family and friends, therapists, pharmacists, and headshrinkers who will be helping me along the road.

And hello to Pennsy, too. I haven't felt like myself for a long, long time. The past year has taught me a lot about other kinds of fitness - fitness that you don't get under the bar or over the elliptical. In the past few months, I've been as beaten down as I ever have in my life, but by the grace of God and the love of Mrs Pennsy, I'm off the canvas and back in the fight again.

Finally, I'm merging my two blogs. Pennsyltuckian was fun to work on, but I am no longer convinced that spirituality ought to be separate from physical health. The two are more intimately linked than I ever suspected and I'll be treating them accordingly here.

So hey, y'all. The times are changing. The Steelers are playing. And the Fat Man runs again.

Peace,
pennsy

3 comments:

  1. Hey Bob, All the best to you. You're an inspiration to me. Long story short, I, too, need to lose weight although I've become so heavy that the docs want me to cycle as it is not "load bearing." You are a wonderful soul and I will always appreciate the time I was privileged to have with you in EFM. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you're back. I've missed hearing from you and I'm happy that you feel you're back on the path.

    Cheering for you, always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of support to you, Bob -- I know you can do it! My husband has lost 90 pounds so far this year through a desire to live a long, healthy life and through sheer will. We are here if you need encouragement, are looking for workout partners, whatever. And if you and the missus get a hankering to give tennis a go, let us know; we're always looking for doubles partners!

    ReplyDelete