Friday, October 23, 2009

#158 Getting Up to the Bottom of a New Workout

Exercise
Sets
Reps
Wt
Squat
3
7
135
Bench Press
3
7
135
Lat Pulldown
3
7
140
Woodchoppers
3
7
100

Cardio
Distance
Time
MPH
Pace
Heartrate
Intervals
138
0.65
10:00
3.9
15.4
138
10x1
 
These first few days are about finding the starting place. At 49, I think I'm past the age where I can afford to be arbitrary about these things. My recovery time is still pretty long. I can work an area hard about every third day. I don't want to over do and put anything out of commission. So I'm working my way up to the bottom.
 
Now the cardio is interesting to me. Just two days ago, I ran 30 minutes at run/walk intervals of 2 minutes for the first 20, then 1 minute for the last 10. Today I turned the speed up a notch from 3.7 to 3.9 mph and had to work hard to finish 10 one minute intervals. Next I'll try to stretch out my time at that speed. I'd like to do that on Sunday, but it will depend on how the legs recover from today.
 
In the weight room, I'm still feeling my way. Squats today for my big lift. I'm going to rotate Squats, Deadlift, and Lunges for my whole body lifts. The push, pull, twist exercises will stay the same for a while. Those last three reps were a bear. I also increased the weight on the Woodchoppers a little. 100 may still be too light.135 lbs feels good for the Bench and Lat. Pulldowns for  now. Next time I'll do the dreaded Lunges. I will not need the 45 lb plates for those for a while.
 
Otherwise I'm feeling well. I've been writing in the mornings, trying to get up early and keep my routine intact. Nutrition is still pretty up and down. Once my performance in the gym gets in a groove, my eating should improve considerably. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment