Tuesday, October 27, 2009

#159: Just a Little More



Cardio


Distance


Time


MPH


Pace


Heart Rate


Intervals


Treadmill

0.8

12:00
4.0
15
138

12 x 1


Good morning workout today. Nearly a mile and at a much more pleasing pace. I wonder why we look at numbers as thresholds. I'd rather run at 4.0 than at 3.9. I'd rather lift 200 lbs than 195. I guess that's what achievement is. The accumulated value of all those "just a little mores" that we press for each day.

People have started coming up to me asking, "Where have you been?" They're all very kind not to mention how much weight I've gained back. I tell them I've been sick for a while. It's good to be well again. Good to be running.

FAT MAN OF THE WEEK


This is Terrence Cody. On Saturday, he blocked two kicks to help Alabama squeak by Tennessee. He is one big dude. According to Pat Forde in ESPN.com:

His given name is Terrence Cody, but around here everyone calls him Mount Cody. See him up close and you know why -- at 6-foot-5 and 354 pounds, he is among the largest free-standing structures in the entire state.
And at a time when Alabama acutely needed someone to step up big, its biggest player broke through.

Mr. Cody (I'm thinking that's what I would probably call him) has maximized his talent and he's still getting better. He not only beat his blocker, he managed to get all those pounds up in the air and in front of two field goals in a game that the Tide won by 2 points. It's an easy thing to miss: blocking a kick. He did it twice by reaching, pushing, jumping just a little bit more than his opponent. He will soon be a very rich man and may be a great ballplayer, someday. Meanwhile, he's a very big man on campus and Tuscaloosa's favorite Fat Man. Roll On, Mr. C., Roll On.

Peace,
Pennsy

No comments:

Post a Comment