Saturday, October 31, 2009

#161 Hot Hammies

OK, not in the sense of "hottie" hot, but hot in the sense of burning up. That's what lunges left me feeling. My hamstrings were on fire. It was good to find such a simple way to work them, but it took me by surprise. The lunge is supposed to work my quads, isn't it? Yes, but the beauty of the lunge is that it is a compound movement. Both the hip and the knee are working at the same time.

Here's a video from a homey at Pittsburgh Boot Camp that does a goodjob talking about the best form for the lunge. If you don't know the joy of this movement. Be prepared. It hurts so good.



That's a movement that works both the front and the back of the leg at once. Nice. Efficient. Hot.

Exercise
Sets
Reps
Wt
Lunge
3
7
0
Bench Press
3
7
145
Lat Pulldown
3
7
150
Woodchoppers
3
7
110

After a five minute warmup on the treadmill, I hit the weight room intending to increase the resistance and the intensity. I added 10 lbs. to each exercise and reduced the rest period between. I want a simple, serious workout. A fast workout - one that wrings me out when I'm finished. The purpose here is two-fold. First, I want to build muscle mass as quickly as I can. That comes from lifting heavy weights - as heavy as you can safely handle. Second, I want to build as much cardio work into my weight training as I can - the way to do that is to keep moving, just like on the treadmill.

Peace,
Pennsy

No comments:

Post a Comment